Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mars Orrery, first baby steps


You can tell I'm excited because here's a second post in just a few days...Which is saying a lot as I'm trying to figure out a career change and heavy life stuff at the same time. This little project will be my 'Zen' path as I struggle through that...
So I've started the visualization of the piece using Alibre. That's a pretty smart way to go because I need to space the drive and idler gears properly. They transfer the power from the yet to be made crank to the main wheels for each Martian objects in equal time. As described before, as Mars makes one full rotation, the moons should move at their own speed. Using lots of same sized gears, idler gears, and even numbered ones so as not to change the direction, hopefully will accomplish this. It might not be the most efficient design, but it'll get 'er done! I'm hoping to optimize the space needed and fit everything into a small open-framed box that can be slid into a nice antique-looking display table.
Next step, careful design of the main wheels so that they nest one inside the next. If you look at your average clock, the second, minute and hour arbors nest very delicately within one another, with the hands carefully attached to the top of each 'tube' or arbor. I have to accomplish the same thing but on a larger scale.  
More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment