Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Finally time in the dungeon!

It's been a couple months but I have finally found some time to work on the Kyudo Archer.
I have started to replace the drive train with a design spotted in a new video about Karakuri.
It involves using large disks to separate the cams, with the the levers that follow the cams placed under the cams, with some sort of reverse force applied. ( I think counter acting cams or weights. Not too sure just yet.)
Here's the current state:
It doesn't look much different from the original cam design I made, but these slight modifications will help the levers follow the cams much easier. I hope!
You can see here that the strings that follow the outside of the arms look a little untidy. This is a prototype, so in the next version, IF I can get this to work, I plan to hide the strings in carefully carved grooves in the arms. That's still a few months away.
In other news, my friends Carol and Russ brought back a small gift from their most recent auction trip to Japan to buy antiques for their business here in Vancouver. They were nice enough to visit a doll store and purchase a small sample of traditional doll heads. Thanks Russ and Carol @ Kikori Japanese Antiques!!!

More next week! Hopefully...

No comments:

Post a Comment