Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The 'Archer' takes shape...

Here's the latest state (sort-of) of the Kyudo archer karakuri:
There's so much more to do with this project I don't know where to start...
It might look a bit elegant for now, but the most important parts, the strings and levers, are still to be figured out.
This is not the most recent state, but it's close. What I have done since this photo was taken was re-design the bow arm, re-design the chest area, and generally clean up the rough look of this doll. I've narrowed the waist a bit so that his shoulders appear wider, and the bow arm is designed now with 'stops' built into it. Basically the limits of motion have been re-designed into the arm. This will help to stop the arms from flopping in the wrong direction once under tension.

Next on the to-do list is: 
-add a third smaller gear to the geartrain and attach the crank/handle to this new gear. (This will slow the motion down by a factor of four, at least I hope so...

-I have some hair to attach - which I will do soon because it's always nice to see your figure 'come alive'. This tends to help focus on the detailing I find...

-space out the cam wheels with plastic bearings, and then take all but one out, and then string up my first range of motion The first basic 'range of motion' will be the up and down movement of the shoulders/arms. Here's an image from the web showing the motion flow of a Kyudo archer-
Essentially I want to emulate the steps from about the third figure in to the seventh figure, and cycle back to the third. I won't be able to raise the arms up as high as this figure shows, but it should be close.

- next I need to figure out how to string the doll's arms to get the leverage I will need to have realistic motion. This will be the most difficult part. I suspect I'll have to re-design a number of cams to make this work.

I have an idea how to go about designing the various motions, and I'll share that with you next time...
'Till the next day in the shop I'll be reviewing the finished idea over and over in my head. I does help!


No comments:

Post a Comment