Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Two weeks later...

I haven't had much time to work on my latest project lately due to an erratic work schedule and various meetings- BUT this week I managed to work on the Archer for a couple hours...


This is just a prototype construction, eventually everything will look a little more polished. On the right you can see the brass bearings that will rest on the cams, now represented as the wheels you see here. I plan to cut the wheels into cams as I work out the various movements in the yet to be made Archer doll. The green gears will next be fixed to the brass pinion using wood wheels screwed to the plastic, and then a pin passed through the pinion/new wheel. A handle is next as well. There will be a string 'shuttle' just under the hole drilled in the top to guide the strings up to the doll. I have to be very careful to make this as friction-less as possible, so I plan to use small brass grommets to help with this.


In the next view you can see a few elastics as stand-ins for the springs I have yet to find. Most of the time you'll see the cams a little higher than here as the width of these circles represent the maximum distance the strings will eventually follow.


So for next week (or the next), more of the same; a little more fine tuning, and then a mock-up of the archer.

No comments:

Post a Comment